A Patient's Guide to Planning and Paying for Fertility Treatment
We know infertility and family building can be overwhelming. We also know it's not as affordable as we'd like it to be for everyone.
Our aim is always to provide clear estimates of treatment costs, including what may or may not be covered by insurance.
How To Determine Your Insurance Coverage and Treatment Costs
Review your insurance policy. Contact them to help understand your benefits and ask detailed questions about fertility coverage.
Schedule a New Patient Consultation and provide us with your insurance information.
During your New Patient Consultation, our doctors gather the necessary medical information specific to your individual needs. We then contact your insurance company to check your level of coverage. It is important to note that this check does not guarantee coverage. We encourage you to advocate for yourself and contact your insurer directly to obtain documentation of any coverages. We have designed a downloadable questionnaire that you can use when calling insurers to help you know what to ask.
Prior to Treatment
Prior to treatment, we encourage you to take the lead in contacting your insurance company to better understand your plan benefits.
The first question to ask is whether the specific plan you have offers infertility coverage, or coverage for fertility testing.
The vast majority of plans fall into one of three categories when it comes to fertility or infertility coverage:
- No Coverage: The plan provides no coverage whatsoever for infertility services. Unfortunately, California does not mandate insurers to cover fertility treatment or testing, unlike other states. Therefore, it's not uncommon to discover that your policy does not cover fertility treatment. This means that you will be expected to pay at the time of service for any non-covered services.
- Some Coverage: The plan provides coverage for the diagnostic phase of infertility testing only. In this scenario, the insurance plan usually offers some coverage for a new patient consultation and generally provides some coverage for fertility testing. The treatment phase is not covered.
- More Coverage: The plan provides coverage for the diagnostic testing phase and coverage for infertility treatment. In these circumstances, coverage is provided for diagnostic testing and for some methods of infertility treatment. Understanding your individual coverage will help you anticipate whether or not a particular service with us is covered.
We never want to see you stuck with a bill you cannot afford. We partner with as many companies as possible to make treatment as accessible as possible for you.
Fertility Benefits Coverage
Your employer may work with a company other than a traditional insurer to provide fertility benefits to you. We recommend you contact them just like you would an insurance company to make sure you fully understand what is covered and under what circumstances.
We partner as many companies as possible, including:
At this time, we cannot accept Progny. If you would like us to consider partnering with another company or service, please email us.
Savings Plans & Guarantees
- Bundl Fertility™—Offers an innovative and cost-effective approach to fertility treatments. Their unique program allows you to bundle multiple treatment cycles for a reduced upfront cost. With flexibility in packages and customizable add-ons, options range from egg donor acquisition to risk protection plans. For more information, submit your information using this online form and Bundl will reach out to you! We'll also fill you in on all the details about your choices, including Bundl, after your New Patient Consult.
Financing may be an option to help cover the costs of fertility treatment. We've partnered with the following vetted companies who, we hope, can provide assistance should you need it:
- ARC Fertility: You can contact ARC directly at any time to learn more about how their financing program works. Because they usually need to know which package you and your doctor decide is right for you, you may want to contact them after your new patient consultation. Their toll free number is 1-888-990-2727.
- Future Family: Future Family offers customized loans designed to save you time and money, combining all your treatment costs into one monthly payment. With Future Family loans, you also have the option to use on-demand fertility coaching support from Registered Nurses, who can answer any questions you may have. You can reach out to them ahead of your consult or start of treatment here.
- Sunfish (formerly Origin Finance): Sunfish tailors each loan to your individual needs with the aim of offering the lowest APR possible. You can also reach out to Sunfish ahead of seeing us. Let them know you've chosen OC Fertility for your care and they will waive your application fee. You can reach out through their website, email or call them at (510) 775-0064.
With increasing cancer survival rates, OC Fertility is proud to give patients an opportunity to pursue fertility preservation options, such as egg, sperm, or embryo banking.
We partner with Livestrong Fertility to provide cancer patents treatment discounts and medication. The Alliance for Fertility Preservation also maintans a list of organizations that may be able to help.
This provides an opportunity for patients to potentially delay family building until after their treatment is complete, they are cancer free, and ready to start a family.
Grants & Discount Programs
- FertilityIQ List of Grants and Charities
- RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association List of Fertility Treatment Scholarships and Grants
Want to recommend a resource or be considered for inclusion in our list or report an organization that you've had a bad experience with? Email us!
Provided to save you money, but no endorsement is implied by listing here:
- Muse Meditation: $30 Muse credit to spend on choosemuse.com. Muse is a smart headband for meditation. Its advanced sensors can detect changes and provides data. May help your manage your stress levels.
- Novalynn Fertility: At-home fertility and health testing: 15% off any order. Use code: NEELEY10
- Nutrisense: Get $50 your first month! Take control of your health with a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) subscription for blood sugar data tracking and nsights. Use code: JENNIFERWS
- Oura Ring: $40 off sleep tracker that may provide data-driven insight into your reproductive health.
Email us to add your code to this list!